|Important Notice on How to Hold the 59th JAAS Annual Conference|
Depending on the situation surrounding the spread of the new coronavirus infection, the method for holding the meeting will be determined as follows:
- In principle, if no state of emergency or pre-emergency measures are declared, meetings will be held in-person at Nagasaki University. However, public symposiums, Board of Trustees' meetings, and general meetings will be conducted jointly in-person and online.
- In the following cases, after consultation between the conference committee and the Association Office, the annual conference will be switched to HyFlex (Hybrid-Flexible) format (combination of online and in-person) or an online-only format:
① when some prefectures declare a state of emergency or pre-emergency measures;
② in the event that no such declarations are made but there is concern about the spread of infection, Nagasaki University, which is the host university, may place restrictions on the holding of events.
- The final decision on the method for holding the annual conference will be made after consultation with the Association Office at the end of March; however, the university will make an appropriate decision dependent upon the progress of the spread of the infection. For speakers, please be prepared to be flexible.
February 14, Monday
|Deadline for presentation application|
|February 28, Monday||Deadline for submission of abstracts (by using web form)|
|April 28, Thursday||Registration deadline|
Deadline for early-bird payment for registration fee
|May 21, Saturday|
& 22, Sunday
|Oral presentation, poster presentation, public symposium, General Meeting, the Board of Trustees, reception party|
|How to register|
- 【All Member】
Please register your participation or non-participation on the JAAS website by April 28, Thursday. (Even if you cannot attend, please submit the proxy form to the General Meeting.)
- 【Those interested in attending】
Please pay your registration fee by April 28, Thursday. (Payment information will be announced in the second circular.)
- 【Those interested in giving a presentation】
Please register your attendance and the subject of your presentation by February 14, Monday, and send your abstract by February 28, Monday.
- Web registration will not be available after April 28, Thursday. Only those who participate will be able to register in person at the venue on the day of the conference.
|The 59th JAAS Annual Conference||https://jaas59.info/en/|
(Please replace "●" with "＠.")
(Please replace "●" with "＠.")
|1. Holding Method|
Nagasaki University, Sakamoto Campus (Sakamoto-machi, Nagasaki) or online
|2. Conference Schedule|
|Saturday, May 21, 2022||Individual Presentation, The Board of Trustees, The General Meeting|
|Sunday, May 22, 2022||Individual Presentation, Public Symposium|
- Individual oral presentation, forum, and poster presentation will be accepted.
- If you wish to make a presentation, please select one of the presentation formats.
- If there is a certain number or requests for presentations in English, sessions in English might be set up.
|4. Adjustment of the Number of Presentations|
As approved at the 2008 General Meeting, the host university will select presentations dependent on the availability of the venue as well as for other reasons. Due to the limited number of venues and internet connections, the timetable for research presentations may be adjusted in line with the number of applications. Therefore, we may ask you to change your presentation method.
|5. Application for Presentation and Submit Abstract|
- Deadline for subject registration：February 14, Monday
- Deadline for abstract：February 28, Monday
(Please prepare your abstract according to the "Guidelines for Preparation of Abstracts" and submit via the designated web form.)
- Deadline for registration：April 28, Thursday
(If you do not complete the registration by this day, your presentation application may be cancelled.)
- There are two steps involved when submitting your presentation: ① subject registration (deadline: Feb. 14), ② abstract submission (deadline: Feb. 28). Please be reminded that the link for the subject registration and the abstract submission are different.
- For participation and subject registration, please use the following application form on the Japan Association for African Studies: https://african-studies.jp/reg/
- After registration, please submit your presentation abstract using the designated web form by February 28.
- The form for the presentation abstract can be downloaded from the 59th JAAS Annual Conference website: https://www.jaas59.info/en/
【How to submit the presentation abstract】
Please submit your abstract by using the abstract submission form on the website for the 59th JAAS Annual Conference.
(A Google account is required for abstract submission. If you do not have a Google account, please create and account (for free).)
Abstract Submission Form
- If you are unable to register via the web form, please contact the Dogura office by e-mail, phone, or fax, and provide the following information: name, furigana, affiliation, phone number, e-mail address, whether you can attend or not, whether you will give a presentation or not, whether it is an oral presentation or poster presentation, whether the presentation format can be changed or not, presenter’s name, presentation subject, attendance at the reception, attendance at the general meeting or a proxy letter in case you will not attend it. The deadline for subject submission is February 14, Monday, which is the same date as the online submission.
Dogura Office, Japan Association for African Studies Office
(Office hour: 10:00 to 18:00 excluding year-end and New Year holidays, weekends, and national holidays)
(Please replace "●" with "＠.")
- Since the 2016 Annual Conference, the conference program and presentation abstracts are posted on the conference website. Please be reminded that the program and presentation abstracts will be posted for a certain period of time before and after the conference and can be viewed on the website.
- Since the 2016 Annual Conference, non-JAAS researchers living abroad can give presentations at this conference. However, the non-JAAS researchers who give presentations will be limited to those who have members of JAAS who will support them in applying for their participation and presentation, abstract submission, visa application, and will pay their participation fee and reception party fee. If you would like to support a non-member researcher living abroad, please send an e-mail to the Dogura office with your name, affiliation, phone number, e-mail address, and the presenter’s information (name, specialty, affiliation and e-mail address). JAAS members who will support such non JAAS members are also responsible for their online application for participation (please check the box for “applying for membership”), presentation application, and abstract submission. The method and deadlines for presentation registration, abstract submission, and early-bird payment of the registration fee are the same as those for academic members. abroad, please send an e-mail to the Dogura office with your name, affiliation, phone number, e-mail address, and the presenter’s information (name, specialty, affiliation and e-mail address). JAAS members who will support such non-JAAS members are also responsible for their online application for participation (please check the box for “applying for membership”), presentation application, and abstract submission. The method and deadlines for presentation registration, abstract submission, and early-bird payment of the registration fee are the same as those for academic members.
|6. Presentation Abstract|
- Please use MS Mincho font for the Japanese font and Times New Roman for the English font.
- The font for the title should be 12 points, and the subtitle and presenter’s name should be 11 points. Please put them in bold.
- Please use the 10 point font for the text and fix the line spacing to 14 points. The number of characters should be 1500 characters or less for the main text. Please state on the top page whether English or Japanese is the language of choice.
- In principle, please send both the MS Word file and PDF file via the abstract submission form.
- If you would like to make a group forum presentation, the representative should submit the presenters' abstract, forum subject, forum abstract, presenters, and order of presentation.
- The file name for the presentation abstract should be as shown below:
"Presenter's name_jaas2022" (Ex：TaroYamada_jaas2022)
"Presenter's name_jaasforum2022" (Ex：TaroYamada_jaasforum2022)
⚠ Important Notice！
- The deadline for the abstract is February 28, Monday. If the abstract is not submitted by this date, we will consider that you have canceled your presentation.
- Please register your presentation via the designated registration form on the JAAS website before submitting your abstract.
- Since 2016 Annual Conference, the conference program and presentation abstracts are posted on the conference website.
|7. Notice on the Presentation|
- The oral presentation is 15 minutes including the Q&A.
- The number of presentations as the first author is limited to one presentation per person by oral presentation, poster presentation and forum.
- If you wish to make a presentation, please complete your registration by the due date, and submit the abstract by this date. Please note that we will not able to accept your presentation once the deadline has expired.
- For poster presenters, please submit the abstract.
- For the joint presentation, please fill the names of all presenters in the “name” box on the web registration form. The first author should be a JAAS member.
- If you wish to hold a forum, the representative should check “Forum” on the web registration form and enter the forum subject. Please enter the names of all presenters in the “Presenter” box.
※The maximum time of the forum is 1 hour and 15 minutes (15 minutes per presenter x number of presenters, up to a maximum of 5). The forum representative should send all the abstracts in one batch. Please note that if all the abstracts are not submitted, you will not be able to make a presentation as a forum. In addition, the representative should create a forum introduction using the template and submit it with the abstracts.
- If you are a non-member of JAAS (excluding non-members who do not have a JAAS member who can support them) and wish to make a presentation, please complete the membership application at the website below by Monday, February 14, 2022. Please note that you will be asked to pay the membership fee as soon as your membership is approved by the Association Office, and this fee can be treated as the membership fee for 2022. For more information, please visit the JAAS website. If you know of any non-members who would like to make a presentation, please advise them to do so.
JAAS Membership Application
|8. Registration for the Conference and Reception Party|
Even if you are not going to give a presentation, you need to register for the conference and the reception party by April 28, Thursday.
|9. Registration Fee (tentative)|
Early-bird (April 28)
After April 28
- If the fee is paid by April 28, the participation fee and the reception party fee will be discounted as described above. The payment method will be announced in the 2nd Circular, but we would appreciate your cooperation in paying the fees in advance.
- This discount does not apply to non-members, except in case of researchers living abroad who have a member of JAAS who can support them.
- If you wish to cancel your registration after it has been paid, please contact the conference committee by e-mail at least one day before the conference. The conference registration fee will be refunded at a later date, minus the bank transfer fee. The reception party fee is non-refundable. In the event that the in-person conference is canceled due to the spread of the new coronavirus, the reception party fee will be refunded.
We are planning to open a nursery. Details will be provided in the 2nd Circular.
The Conference Committee will not provide accommodation. Please make your own reservations.
Information about the 2022 Annual Conference will be available on the conference website. For inquiries about the conference, please contact the flowing:
(Please replace "●" with "@.")
School of Global Studies and Social Science, Nagasaki University
1-14 Bunkyo-machi, Nagasaki, 852-8521, Japan
The 59th JAAS Annual Conference Committee
School of Global Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health, Nagasaki University
School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Nagasaki University
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University